i am a husband, father, geek, and bofh in
central texas connecticut.
- Treat your infrastructure as code. Programmable. Testable. Deployable.
- The best solution to a problem is not to have it.
- An insufficiently ugly temporary hack is permanent.
- There is no such thing as standby infrastructure: there is stuff you always use and stuff that won’t work when you need it.
- The first fallacy of automation is making machines perform each step of a manual human process.
- These are not features: Security, Availability, Performance.
- Enable reconstruction of the business from nothing but a
- source code repository,
- application data backup, and
- bare metal resources.
- Code is tracked with version control.
- Everything we do is in code.
- Everything is checked into version control.
- Modifying configuration machines by hand is "doing it wrong".
- Not tracked in version control.
- If it's a configuration-managed component, it will get undone.
- Level up! Managing iron is for mainframe operators.